Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Work as Unto the Lord

Then David continued, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see to it that all the work related to the Temple of the Lord is finished correctly". (1 Chronicles 28: 20, NLT)

As I do each time before reading the text I am supposed to blog about, I pray that God will make at least one verse just stand out, or leap off the page with something relevant from which to write. Some days are easier than others for this to happen. But, tonight, as I read the designated text, I thought, "How appropriate!" (By the way, I usually prepare my blog the night before my assigned day so I can have it ready to post for the next morning. That's why I'm saying "tonight" even though you may be reading this in the a.m.)

Oh, yea, back to my thought! Why was this verse appropriate? I had painted for a few hours today on the new church building. I, along with several others, on more than one occasion, have already painted, swept, mopped, etc., working to prepare the new building (Temple). And, there will be several more days of work to be done before it is completed. Are there work crews there, sub-contracted out by the general contractor? Sure there are, but sometimes you need other "workers in the field" to come along to make sure the work is done to satisfaction, or also to stay on budget.

If anyone has built a house, you know what I'm talking about. There is a lot of work to be done, but there are also different types of work ethic. There are those who work hard, and it shows in the end results. Then, there are those who "cut corners". Some one's idea of excellence may be different than yours or mine. Some may work with the attitude, "As long as it's done, what does it matter what it looks like, or if it functions properly."

I believe that God wants us to work to the best of our ability. I believe He calls us to excellence. On a day like today, it's comforting to know and be reassured that God hasn't left us. He's going to give us the strength and the energy to do the work. And, He, God, will see that any work relating to His temple, and in our case, the building which will house the congregation of 3trees Church, will be "finished correctly". PTL!

No comments:

Post a Comment