Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Seeing is Believing!

The queen of Sheba hears of Solomon's fame and his relationship with the Lord.  So, she decides to go see for herself if he was really as wise and wealthy as she had heard.  She, along with a large group of attendants and a great caravan of camels, take off for Jerusalem with spices, large quantities of gold, and precious jewels in tow.  When the queen meets with Solomon, she talks with him about everything she has on her mind.  Some believe the queen may have used riddles or proverbs to test his wisdom.  But, Solomon was able to answer all her questions. "When the queen of Sheba realized how wise Solomon was, and when she saw the palace he had built, she was overwhelmed."  (2 Chronicles 9: 3-4a) 

"She exclaimed to the king, 'Everything I heard in my country about your achievements and wisdom is true!  I didn’t believe what was said until I arrived here and saw it with my own eyes'."  (vs. 5-6a)  Now, isn't that just like a woman.  She wouldn't take other people's word for it---she had to see it for herself. :)  I'm sure the queen was amazed.  I know I would have been!  After verifying the reports of Solomon's greatness for herself, she became an admirer of Solomon and his God. 

"Testing others is sometimes necessary, especially if reports of their achievement seem incredible or unbelievable.  We should test their claims to see if (1) the reports are accurate and if (2) they are from God.  Often when something seems too good to be true, it is!"  (footnote from Life Recovery Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment