Monday, May 17, 2010

A Simple Act

Like a cool drink of water when you're worn out and weary
is a letter from a long-lost friend. Proverbs 25:25

I have felt for a long time now that when someone comes to your mind, there is a reason for it. I feel that the Holy Spirit can speak a name to you out of the blue. When this happens to me, I will most often pray for that person. Sometimes, this is a person that I haven't thought of or seen in years. Other times, it could be someone that I see everyday. If I haven't seen them in a while, I may not have any idea what their needs are. Still, I know I can whisper a prayer for them, and God will know their needs.

There are also times when I feel strongly that I need to contact this person. I must say that the new social networking tools have made this much easier than it used to be. I can remember trying to find phone numbers or addresses of long lost friends, back before facebook. I would search for them so I could write them a letter. Remember letters? Those are the things people used to write with a pen and paper. Then, you had to buy a stamp and place them in the actual mailbox. Today, we can just send an email or we can just start a chat on facebook. Either way, when this happens I usually find that the person appreciates the contact.

Everyone wants to know someone else is thinking about them from time to time. Many times, a letter, email, or a card from an old friend has made my day. I guess it makes me think, that at some point, I must have made an impression in their life. At some point, I was placed in their heart so they could pull the memory out occasionally and maybe send me a few lines of encouragement.

Don't underestimate how the Holy Spirit can work in your life. If you feel a nudge to contact someone or pray for someone, do it. You never know what they may be going through at the moment. Your simple act of kindness may just make their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment