Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What's Your Calling?

"He (God) chose his servant David,
calling him from the sheep pens.
 He took David from tending the ewes and lambs
and made him the shepherd of Jacob’s descendants—
God’s own people, Israel.
 He cared for them with a true heart
and led them with skillful hands."
(Psalm 78:  70-72)

David was a shepherd boy in his father's fields, long before he became king.  He was content, playing his harp and tending the sheep. 1 Samuel 16 gives the account of when David was anointed to, one day, become king over Israel.  But, in the meantime, David was called into King Saul's service and became an armor bearer. Saul was being tormented by evil spirits, so David would play his harp in order for Saul to feel better.

I remember in my own life, at the young age of nine, I liked to read the obituary column, wondering what caused these people to die. (I was a strange kid---lol). Then, I went on to become a funeral director by the age of 20. I also remember painting my parents' bathroom and porch swing when I was about 15 yrs. old. How could I have known that one day I would be painting, helping to prepare a new building for the house of the Lord? I can look back and remember having an interest in legal matters and decorating, and wondering if I would pursue a career as a lawyer or interior decorator. I had a lot of interests. But, I had to decide what was my heart's passion---where did I feel God really calling me.

We may look at our talents and wonder why we have them.  Is it just for our enjoyment?  We may have certain interests or hobbies, and really not give much thought as to a future destiny or plan where they may somehow be used.  God sees the overall picture.  "He knows the plans He has for you" (Jeremiah 29:11).  In order for us to get to where we are going, we need to be prepared.  Just like when David played his harp at a young age, he had no way of knowing that he would one day be playing for a king in a palace.  He didn't know that tending his father's sheep would prepare him for the day that he would be tending a large flock of people, as king over Israel.  And, since David was faithful in his servanthood to his earthly father, God found David suitable to become a servant to Him, his heavenly Father.
 
God, may I use my skills and talents to the best of my ability.  May I become all that you have created me to be.  Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment