Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Slow to Anger

"The Lord does not become angry quickly, and his power is great."   Nahum 1:3

I have to confess that I got a little convicted, maybe quite a bit convicted, after reading Nahum 1: 3. There is one thing that I struggle with on a daily basis: PATIENCE. Even while trying to write today's devotion, my children keep interrupting my train of thought (btw, it doesn't take much!).  Working at home has its good and bad points. It feels like alot of "stop and go" driving. I get involved in a project, then I look up from my computer to see that the kids are enraged in a battle of right vs. wrong. Last week, I was torn between a broken sewage pump, broken washer and a broken HVAC---all of which are needed to keep things running around here! So, yes, I struggle with getting angry and upset. I hope whoever is reading this can relate.  If not, boy, do I need your prayers!

I wonder if it is because of God's great power that He doesn't anger quickly. He has enough power in himself to refrain from losing control. Could you imagine if He reacted like we do in most situtations? There would be planets thrown all over the galaxy! It gives me great peace to know that, within my small "to-do" list, that taking care of humanity is not at the top.

It is easily discerned in the Old Testament that God controlled his anger. God is very angry about sin. And, God is a good God. Both are true. But, depending on where you are in your life, maybe you need to hear one more than the other. Some of us don't know the depth of God's love, and others of us don't take God's anger seriously enough. He really does hate sin. He will not tolerate continued, blatant, "in-his-face" disregard for the commandments He has given. He is angry when we have willfully disobeyed.

People who are living in sin need to know that God hates the sin, not the person. God realizes that the sin is causing separation. The separation, if not united, will lead that person into eternal separation from God. Hell was created in God's anger for the angels that rebelled against him during Satan's revolt. God does not desire for us to dwell there for eternity. But, if we willfully turn our backs to God, that will be the repercussion.

If you are separated from God, today is the day of your salvation. Maybe you need to know the depths of God's love. God loved you so much that He sent his only Son to die on a cross for you. The sin that you are carrying around, Jesus has taken care of. He paid a debt that you could not pay in your own might. The prayer of salvation is simple. A.B.C. Ask. Believe. Confess. Ask Jesus into your heart. Believe that He died on the cross for your sin. Confess that you have accepted Jesus as your Savior.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this one! I can relate to the home office, of the stopping and starting, up to the lack of patience on various matters. So, no, you're not the "lone ranger". :)

    ReplyDelete