Saturday, July 3, 2010

If My People....

My readings today fall into Isaiah 14. This chapter depicts more of Isaiah's prophecies against Babylon and other nations. However, my mind keeps going back to II Chronicles 7: 14:

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."   (II Chronicles 7: 14)

I watched a History channel special the other night about our nation. It was quite an extensive history review, and I learned many things I had forgotten about our great nation. We have been a people who God has blessed. However, it seems to me from watching the history special, that after so long of being blessed by God, then we started to determine we didn't need God. We have forgotten how we got to where we are. It's the classic case of giving ourselves credit for something we did not do.

Looking around, I believe we are in at least as much turmoil now as a nation as any point in our history. With so many natural disasters, it feels to me that God may have lifted His hand of protection off of our nation. From reading the Bible, He often does give his people warning and opportunities to heed to those warnings before He issues His final judgment. I feel that is where America is right now.

On this Independence Day weekend, let us remember the One who blessed this great nation and allowed it to become what it is in the first place. We are the people; we must join together and call upon Him with humble repentance. And, just like in the Bible days, for all those who aren't doing so, it is up to the Christians to be the Voice crying out and beseeching others to heed His warnings.

There is one thing I have learned from our Old Testament reading so far this year. It is simply that God will only tolerate being ignored for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment