Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day of Rest

“Keep the Sabbath day holy.  Don’t pursue your own interests on that day, but enjoy the Sabbath and speak of it with delight as the Lord’s holy day.  Honor the Sabbath in everything you do on that day, and don’t follow your own desires or talk idly.  Then the Lord will be your delight.  I will give you great honor and satisfy you with the inheritance  promised to your ancestor Jacob.  I, the Lord, have spoken!”    (Isaiah 58:  13-14, NLT)

The Sabbath.  For many, it's Sunday.  A day of worship---a day of rest.  For others, it's the day of the week to sleep late, or spend the afternoon (or morning) at the lake.  How do you spend your Sabbaths?  Is it bringing honor to God?

I have had occupations that required work to be done on Sundays, such as a hospital or funeral home.  There are those who have to work on Sundays because that is what their job schedule requires.  I currently work a part-time job that requires me to work every other Sunday afternoon.  I sometimes struggle with working this job for that reason.  And, after reading the above verses, it really makes me feel as though I need to re-evaluate my situation.  

If your job or career is keeping you from worship or church attendance on Sundays, then make it a priority to take one day during the week to rest your body and refresh your spirit.  Our body needs it physically; our souls need it spiritually.  God must be really serious about the Sabbath if He says you can't even talk idly on that day.  The rewards of honoring the Sabbath, which is one of the Ten Commandments, will bring you rest and satisfaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment