Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 3 - Baptism of Fire

Acts 1:5 - John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized in the Holy Ghost.

In the Gospels, a reference to the truth of Acts 1:5 is stated by John himself as he declared, "I baptize you with water, but there comes one after me... Who will baptize you with fire." He was obviously speaking of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Contemplate this for a moment... When you are baptized in water, as the outward confession of salvation, a minister handles the responsibility of immersing you, but when you experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit, Scripture declares that Jesus himself, baptizes you!

During water baptism you go into the water dry, but you come up wet. I believe it is the goal of heaven that when you are baptized in the Holy Spirit you arise spiritually on fire. You come forth with a brand-new intensity, passion, and boldness!

If you are in a state of spiritual apathy. If you have become lethargic in your commitment to Christ. Cry out to heaven for Jesus to come near to your life and not just save you from sin, but to baptize you in the consuming fire of His presence, that you may serve him with passion!

John Wesley once drew crowds of thousands of people to hear him preach. When asked how one man could gather such a following he responded, "I simply set myself on fire (with the Holy Ghost) and they come to watch me burn..."

May Jesus freshly baptize us in the fire of the Holy Ghost today as we strive to passionately experience Him and share His Gospel with the world!

My prayer:

Heavenly Father, let every stale part of my spiritual life now be met by the fire of heaven. Forgive me for casually walking out my Christianity. I ask that in the same way I was publicly baptized to mark the day of my salvation, baptize me now freshly in Holy Spirit that this day may mark a new level of fiery intensity. May it never be said of me that I have lost my first love. Ignite my heart that I may burn with passion to experience your presence in my life without ceasing. Let me so burn that I will pray continually and seek you all the days of my life. Jesus, I invite you to immerse me completely in the fire of the Holy Spirit. Thank you for your sufficient grace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment