Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 15 - This is That

Acts 2:12-15 - 12And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? 13Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine. 14But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 15For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day (9am). 16But THIS IS THAT which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

Years before this moment, Joel had prophesied that God would pour out his Spirit in an undeniable way. Simon Peter stood in the middle of prophetic fulfillment as an earthquake had just rocked the neighborhood and a sonic boom had accompanied it.

As if that wasn't enough to get the attention of the city, now in the epic center of all that was transpiring 120 people were huddled together in a room rambling in foreign languages that they had never been taught. Not just any languages though--every nationality present outside the
Upper Room heard his language being communicated as the wonderful works of God were declared!

As a multitude gathered, in amazement and with marveled minds the city began to respond with mockery. Surely it couldn't be real. It had to be some type of a coincidence or scheme brought forth by drunken men...

Hearing the confusion outside the gathering room, Simon Peter (never one to back away from confrontation) stepped out on the balcony and, if I may paraphrase, declared, "These men are not drunk as you suppose for it is only 9am in the morning. Instead, THIS IS THAT which Joel spoke of..."

"This is that...", What a way to describe the chaos that was erupting. Simon Peter always did have a way with words!

Peter was attempting to announce, "This is that! That which you have been waiting for, wondering if it would ever come, is now made manifest among us. God's promise is fulfilled and we bask in the overflow of the outpouring of his Holy Spirit..."

My response, "Give me some of THAT!"

Give me an experience with the Holy Spirit that is so overwhelming that I may appear to be just that--overwhelmed!

THIS IS THAT WHICH JOEL SPOKE OF: Joel 2:28-29 - 28And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.


My Prayer:

Father, raise me up out of casual Christianity. Let me not be stagnantly situated in a form of godliness, but rather pour out your Spirit in my life in such a way that it overwhelms me. Give me some of THAT which Simon Peter and 120 experienced! I faithfully ask you to release in my life the outpouring of your spirit with Joel promised would be available to ALL FLESH. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment