Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 2 - Wait for the Promise

Acts 1:4 - and being assembled together with them (Jesus) told them that they should not leave Jerusalem but that they should WAIT for the promise of the Father...

This much is for sure: I am glad 2009 is over! Maybe I took a wrong turn, maybe the enemy decided it was time to camp out on my doorstep, or perhaps it was just my time for a bad year, irregardless of what exactly happened I feel blessed to have survived it with my sanity in tact. I really do hope that 2010 is much different. ;)

As I read through Acts 1 this morning I felt God pricking my heart about something I didn't expect. I sincerely sensed him telling me to WAIT. Yet, I have no desire to stay put any longer in the lingering after-effects of a bad year. However, this morning I am certain that heaven is attempting to communicate to me that rather than limping off into 2010 with my own agenda, I should instead make sure that I have been careful to first WAIT for the Holy Spirit's inspiration, renewal, leadership and direction.

In Acts 1:4, in their closing moments with Jesus, before he would ascend to heaven, the disciples were told to not move forward to another city, but to instead WAIT in Jerusalem until they experienced 'the promise of the Father'. We know from reading on through Acts that 'the promise of the father' turned out to be the enduement of power they would receive from the Holy Ghost, ten days later. The most amazing thing may be the truth that is revealed through further study. While Jesus spoke this word to 500 people, only 120 chose to actually WAIT for the duration of time until the promise was revealed.

Waiting is not easy--even when you have a word from Jesus, himself, to do so! But just imagine if the 120 had not waited? I believe it's safe to figure that they would not have had the success in their ministries that history testifies they experienced.

We also have a promise of the Father: 'Those that WAIT upon the Lord shall renew their strength, mount up with wings as eagles, run and not grow weary, walk and not faint' (Isaiah 40:31)

I most assuredly did not fly through 2009. I did however perfect weariness--I may have even fainted a time or two. But on January 5, 2010 I stop limping forward in my own fatigued strength as I instead choose to kneel, faithfully waiting for the promise of the Father to renew my strength through the empowerment of His Holy Spirit.

On Day 2 of the fast this will be my prayer focus:

Father, I WAIT on your touch, your vision, and your strength. For it is not by my might or my power, but by your Spirit that all true ministry is accomplished. I don't just need you--I acknowledge that I have to have you. I WAIT on your renewal of my strength. Give me a new found strength to walk when others faint, to run when others wearily falter, and to mount up with wings as eagles when it seems impossible to muster the strength to hold on. Father, I WAIT for your promises to be fulfilled in my life, that I may go where you send me and do what you tell me. Come upon me, empower me, overshadow me. In Jesus name, Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment