Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shakin' the Family Tree

Today's passages, found in 1 Chronicles, all deal with genealogical records or the recording of descendants (if you're following along with the NLT version).  My first thought was, "How will I find anything to write about with all these names listed---difficult to even pronounce?!"  I have heard a few (and very few) preachers select their text for a message from such passages, especially regarding the heritage of Jesus found in Matthew.  But, overall, I have often wondered why such records would be found in the Bible.  What spiritual application is there?

I may not have a deep, theological answer for you on that one, but I'll share what I feel may be of some importance.  We all have a heritage---we have an ancestry.  Tracing family history and gathering genealogical records has become a hobby, or passion, for some.  I have an uncle who has spent countless hours on the Internet or travelling to different towns or libraries, in search of our family tree.  He hasn't traced it as far back as some families, but he has a better knowledge of his family roots.

We all are probably curious as to, "Who am I?  Where do my traits and characteristics come from?"   It helps us to better understand ourselves, and maybe why we think and act the way we do.  Some may find they descended from someone well-known, and for that reason, they feel more important.  Others will find they have a family history of alcoholism or abuse, and can come to the realization as to why they may have those same  tendencies.  The Bible does refer to "sins being passed from generation to generation".  Just because we gain knowledge about our past, does not mean it has to dictate our future.   It also helps to know, that even though there may be "black sheep" amongst those who have gone before us, doesn't mean that something good, or someone great can't come out of it now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment