Saturday, September 11, 2010

Set Your Heart On God

"Still, if you set your heart on God and reach out to him,
If you scrub your hands of sin and refuse to entertain evil in your home,
You'll be able to face the world unashamed and keep a firm grip on life, guiltless and fearless.
You'll forget your troubles; they'll be like old, faded photographs.
Your world will be washed in sunshine, every shadow dispersed by dayspring.
Full of hope, you'll relax, confident again;
you'll look around, sit back, and take it easy.
Expansive, without a care in the world,
you'll be hunted out by many for your blessing.
But the wicked will see none of this.
They're headed down a dead-end road with nothing to look forward to—nothing."
Job 11:13-20, The Message

Everyone has troubles---some of us more than others. Yet, this passage reminds us that, as long as we have God with us and as long as we are living righteously, then we will be able to face the world without shame.

I want to share a passage from a blog I read that I think explains the sentiment of this verse better than anything I could say:

I had an interesting conversation with Mr. Nene. He had stopped by my house Tuesday night. By trade, Mr. Nene is a steelworker. He’s been doing it for over 30 years. On a good month, he’ll make 3000 Haitian dollars. Then, sometimes he’ll go months and not make anything. Just by looking at him, you can tell he’s been through a lot over the last 50 years or so. His wife helps us with the twins. He has five children himself.

I asked him why does he think God has allowed this to happen – for him to live in Haiti – and struggle for every meal? I wanted his view-point on God. I wanted to know if he ever questioned whether God existed since he lives in such an impoverished country. 
He told me:

'Who am I to question God? Did Jesus not suffer on the cross? He suffered much more than I ever have. There are nights that my children are hungry, but each day we live. God can give and He can take. In the moments where He takes – my faith only strengthens. Each day is like a test. It’s not always easy – but I’m just His servant. It’s not supposed to be. When you have the Spirit of the Lord in your heart – isn’t that enough? For me, it’s enough. I don’t have to question anything.'


The above is a conversation between a Haitian man and a missionary in Haiti. You can read her entire entry here

You can always learn the most from those who appear to have the least. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment