Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What is Clean?

You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place, which is among them. Leviticus 15:31 NIV

This passage is preceded by several laws regarding what is clean and unclean that make me grateful for God's grace. In spite of that, I saw this passage in a new way tonight. It would be easy to discuss what is clean and unclean even if it is not correct, because most of us have a list in our minds of where everything falls. Our lists are probably as long as the laws of Leviticus, truth be told. I could discuss that, but tonight I raise a different question. Are we trying to steer clear of the obvious sin while immersing ourselves in sin we don't even see?

For example, I have found lately that it doesn't take an everyday conversation long to turn into gossip and judgment. Since I work in a public place then I hear a lot of that all day long. Everyday I battle to stay away from these conversations. Honestly, sometimes I do well and sometimes I fail. Some nights I find myself mulling over what popular opinion says is wrong. Often times, I wonder what Jesus thinks of it and I am not sure He would see it all the way most do. More often than not, I wonder why there is a need for anyone to have the conversation at all. After all, it is generally not followed by a prayer session for the "poor sinner."

So I ask you this, who are the unclean ones really? Would Jesus look more kindly upon those who were judging the sinner or would he look more kindly upon the sinner?Would it be better to be lost and not know your way or to be found and hinder others from finding the way?

That is just one example of sin that we might participate in without even realizing it. Some sin is apparent. Some sin is obvious, outright, and easily identified. Most of the time, people who struggle with those types of issues are aware of it and may already be talking to God about it. God wants those people to enter His temple. He wants them to come, to receive love, mercy, and forgiveness. How else will they find it if they don't enter in? I wonder if it is the sin we don't recognize that truly defiles our temples? Do we carry sin into our place of worship every week without acknowledging it or repenting of it? Do we stand before God feeling blameless while He sees dark places in our hearts that we ignore? Is it possible that we are so accustomed to some things that we don't even realize it is sin? Could it be that the line between being clean and unclean falls a little closer to home than we would like to admit?

I think my closing prayer today could not be better said than the words from the song, "Clean Hands"


We bow our heart and we bend our knees
O Spirit come make us humble
We turn our eyes from evil things
O Lord we cast down our idols
So give us clean hands and give us pure hearts
Let us not lift our souls to another
O God let us be a generation that seeks
That seeks your face, O God of Jacob










No comments:

Post a Comment