Saturday, March 20, 2010

Root for the Underdog

"Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you from there." Deuteronomy 24:18

The Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..." Matthew 7:12

One thing I can remember learning as a child was The Golden Rule. At the time, I had no idea that it was in the Bible. At a very young age, I was taught that you treat everyone equal, because not one person is above another. Society always seems to classify people, and it starts as early as elementary school. My mom always told me "Root for the under-dog". So I did. I wasn't always popular for it, but at least I learned a few lessons about integrity.

Isn't it the "under-dog" that captivates our attention anyway? Especially looking at stories in the Bible. It seems that God "roots for the underdog" too! David, for instance, the smallest of the family. None of his family thought he would ever outgrow his job of being the family sheep herder. Not until, he boldly steps forward and conquers Goliath.

The "underdog syndrome" can be found throughout the Bible. Daydreamers. Stutterers. Murderers. Shepherds. Slaves. Prostitutes. We think our life is full of drama! But as I stated earlier, God "roots for the underdog". Society looks at the outward appearance, but He looks at the inward appearance. Look at 1 Samuel 16:7 where God says that He had rejected Saul. He tells Samuel, "Don't consider Saul's height or his appearance."

So to sum all this up, let me go back to the verse I chose for today, Deuteronomy 24:18. God reminds the Israelites that they used to be dependent people, looking to their masters for sustenance. Now, that God brought them into the Promised Land, he did not want them to forget their humble beginning. In their blessings, He wanted them to share the prosperity with the unfortunate and to never look down upon them.

Never let your abundance become a stumbling block for others.
Show God's love through the gifts that He has given you.

No comments:

Post a Comment