Thursday, March 11, 2010

Drive Them Out!

Numbers 33:55, “But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will become barbs in your eyes and thorns in our sides. They will give you trouble in the land where you live.”

In the last month I have traveled around to various parts of this state to worship with young people. I have witnessed students of all ages go after God with all they have. One evening as I was worshiping God, I opened my eyes, and saw these young people worshipping with all their might. I could see how bad the Lord wants to raise up a generation of young people who will walk in righteousness and purity. In this season of my life, I have never experienced such strong passion for young people as I do right now. Working with students can be very frustrating at times, they tell you they are going to do one thing, then go and do another. Sometimes I just want to say, “forget it, if they aren’t going to listen, then I am not going to waste my breath.” However, I know that God never gave up on me, so I can’t give up on them.

One huge hurdle that young people struggle to get over more than any other is who they surround themselves with. However, I have also recently noticed a number of adults who struggle with the same issue. The truth of the matter is this, if we are going to walk in righteousness and purity, this is one hurdle that must be conquered. The bottom line is you are who you surround yourself with. It is a slow fade, and the people who we are surrounded with, we will be like. As children of God, we are called to influence, not to be influenced. If we are not careful, and allow ourselves to be around people who are not hungry for God, we will lose our hunger for God. Just like the curiosity of a teenager when it comes to drinking, drug use, or sexual immorality, adults as well, are enticed by the people they are surrounded with. If the people we choose to be around do not push us forward in God, they are pushing us backwards.

God warned the Israelites if they did not drive the wicked inhabitants out of the promise land, later these people would become a great irritation. And that is exactly what happened. Just like the Israelites were hesitant to drive out the wicked inhabitants, sometimes we are hesitant to drive out the wicked inhabitants that influence our life. If we do not, irritation will transpire, and we will spiritually decline in our walk with God. Be sure you are being the leader Christ has called you to be, and not a follower allowing others to influence your life. There is nothing, or no one who is worth the relationship we have with Christ. If there are relationships in your life that cause you so much grief, hardship, and even seem to be a thorn in your side, it may be best to drive them out! Allow 1 Thessalonians 5:11 to be the foundation of all relationships that are in your life. For it commands us, “Encourage one another and build each other up!”

No comments:

Post a Comment