Saturday, March 13, 2010

Amazing Grace!

"And the Lord heard the sounds of your words, and was angry, and took an oath, saying 'Surely not one of these men of this evil generation shall see that good land of which I swore to give to your fathers, except Caleb the son of Jephunneh; he shall see it, and to him and his children because he wholly followed the Lord. The Lord was also angry with me (Moses) for your sakes, saying, 'Even you shall not go in there.' Joshua, the son of Nun, who stands before you, he shall go in there." Deuteronomy 1:34-38

Deuteronomy, to me, is Moses' last will and testament. In his old age he gathers the Israelites around him and recounts the many acts of God's faithfulness to them during the past 40 years. During one of his speeches, he makes a point in reminding them why he will not be entering the Promised Land. He said "The Lord was also angry with me, for your sakes saying 'Even you shall not go in there."

We know that God cannot lie, He can't revoke His promises. But we, being weak mortal souls can fail God, thus aborting the promise He placed within us. Deuteronomy 28 shows us the "blessings of obeying" and the "curses for disobeying". Although Moses was on the fast track to experiencing the Promised Land, he was abruptly stopped by his disobedience.

I like to think that just like Father God turned His head while His son agonized on the cross, he may have had the same feelings for Moses. God was so hurt that Moses would not be able to rejoice after such longsuffering. If you're a parent you can relate. You promise your child the newest toy in the store, but he acts in disobedience and you reluctantly have to become a teacher of morals, thus breaking your child's heart and your own.

So let's go thousands of years later. Jesus takes Peter, James and John to the Mount of Olives or also known as the Mount of Transfiguration. Matthew 17:2-3 reads, "While they watched, Jesus' appearance was changed; his face became bright like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. Then MOSES and Elijah appeared unto them, talking with Jesus." Isn't God's grace amazing?! Moses was placed on top of a mountain, smack dab in the middle of the land that God had promised His chosen people. He was not by himself either, but with Jesus and Elijah!
I'm sure this was more than Moses could've ever asked or even thought. Two of the most important leaders of the Old Testament were joined. God had given Moses the Law, and Elijah was a significant prophetic voice.

If you feel like you have failed God, read Deuteronomy 28:1-14. He give us details on how to live an abundant life. Thank God that He has a huge eraser for the blackboard! Get up, wipe the dust off yourself and try again!

Jesus, I humble my heart before you, even when I feel that I have missed the mark. I pray that the spirit of condemnation would be broken and that your conviction would draw me closer to you. As I confess my sins and faults to you, please allow your blood to cover each and every one of them. Change my heart and renew my mind as I once again come running after you.
In the precious name of Jesus, AMEN!

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, I confess that is something I never realized. The more I learn about God, the more amazing I find Him!

    ReplyDelete