Friday, March 26, 2010

It's About Time

"I was forty years old when Moses, the servant of the Lord, sent me from Kadesh-barnea to explore the land of Canaan. I returned and gave an honest report. So that day Moses solemnly promised me, ‘The land of Canaan on which you were just walking will be your grant of land and that of your descendants forever, because you wholeheartedly followed the Lord my God.’ Now, as you can see, the Lord has kept me alive and well as he promised for all these forty-five years since Moses made this promise—even while Israel wandered in the wilderness. Today I am eighty-five years old. I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then. So give me the hill country that the Lord promised me." (Joshua 14: 7, 9-12a, NLT)

Caleb is now speaking to Joshua. It's time for Caleb to receive the land that had been promised. So, Joshua blesses Caleb and gives him Hebron as his inheritance.

Caleb was one of the spies that went in to survey the land of Canaan, and he brought back a favorable report. He, along with Joshua, were the only two adults who left Egypt that were allowed to enter the promised land. Caleb was a man of faith and endurance. How many of us would have wanted to wait 45 years to get what we were promised? We would have given up on God, and believed we had misunderstood what was spoken.

Even though Caleb was now 85 yrs. old, he was as strong as ever. He was still willing and able to do the Lord's work. Hebron still had giants and inhabitants in the land, so he had to go in and conquer before he could possess it. Some of us may have thought someone else should have cleared out the land, especially if we had worked and waited for so long. But, not Caleb. The Lord was his strength.

Has God promised you something long ago, and you're still waiting for it to come to fruition? Are you wondering when your time will come? There may be "giants in the land" --- your promised land or destiny. It may be God is waiting on you to go in, conquer those "giants", in order for you to inherit your promise. Could it just be that "you're not waiting on God, but that God is waiting on you?" It's about time for you to claim your promise!

Dear God, Give me the strength to face the giants---to fight and to conquer. May I continue to have faith until I inherit all the blessings that you have promised. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment