Monday, March 1, 2010

Methods of Measuring

Don't cheat when measuring length, weight, or quantity. Use honest scales and weights and measures. I am God, your God. I brought you out of Egypt. Leviticus 19:35-36 (Message Bible)

I have learned something interesting about measurement. We tend to measure others differently than we measure ourselves. It seems we have a different yardstick that we pull out if we are looking at another. Isn't that especially so if we are speaking of a brother or sister in Christ? "Well, they should know better. I can't believe they would do that!", we will say. Then we look in the mirror and say, "well, God understands I can't be perfect. I am doing the best I can." Isn't it the truth? We do that, don't we?

People in church really like to use measurements in thought. We might think, "I have helped with this and that, I also volunteer for that thing, and I have given this much money." Then we look at the other person and compare our "volume" of serving. More often than not, we are certain our "volume" is larger than their "volume" and surely that must count for something, right? Don't we often get our feelings hurt because favor was given to someone who we felt had done or given less than we had?

So, why is it that when we pull out our "holy yardstick"...you know the one we use on other people that our measurements don't seem to match up to God's measurements? Why does He give this person favor over us when surely He can see what we have done? I'll tell you why that is. It is because God uses only one form of measurement and it is counted in increments of LOVE & GRACE!

I tell you, we really don't want to be caught "measuring" in front of the Lord for fear that He would turn that "spiritual yardstick" back on us. After all, if we stand across from Jesus wouldn't His actions always outweigh ours? Should we ask God what is fair? I would be afraid for God to use "fair" standards when measuring my life. Wouldn't you?

I had a dream the other night. It seems that the Pastor was delivering a sermon. I am not certain what he was saying, but I know we were being rebuked. Then a woman stood up and started listing all of the things she had done as reasons why she did not deserve to be rebuked.
The Pastor looked out into the congregation and said, "I appreciate everything each of you have done for this church but sometimes all I want to know is- do you love God? Do you really love Him?"

This was a dream of mine and has no connection with our Pastor. It did make me think though. You see, if we really loved God then we would be able to transfer that love onto those who we often judge so harshly. We would notice their faults less and we would pray for their maturity rather than celebrating their shortcomings. Sometimes it would be good for us to quit "measuring" everything by our standards which usually consists of increments of "I did" and "I deserve" but instead started "measuring" things by God's standards....increments of love and grace. Thank God for the servant's heart, but works are meaningless if they are not accompanied by a large dose of love and grace. I think we would find our Spirits looking upon others much more kindly if we started pouring in more love and grace to the recipe.

I heard someone say a prayer recently, "God help us to always give each other the benefit of the doubt." Do you know what that translates into? I think it translates into "God help us to offer love and grace to one another."

If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen. I Peter 4:11 NIV

Father, forgive us for applying different forms of measurement to others than we do ourselves. Today I pray that you help us to stop measuring people and situations by our own "spiritual yardsticks". Instead, help us to apply love and grace to our every word, every deed, and every thought. Thank you today for not measuring us in fairness according to man's standards. Thank you for providing us grace regardless of how we measure up in man's eyes. Finally, help us to honor and glorify You in all things. In Jesus Name-Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment