Friday, April 30, 2010

Vengeance is Thine

Arise, O Lord, in anger!
Stand up against the fury of my enemies!
Wake up, my God, and bring justice!

(Psalm 7: 6, NLT)

"David wrote this psalm in response to the slanderous accusations of those who claimed he was trying to kill Saul and seize the throne. Instead of taking matters into his own hands and striking back, David cried out to God for justice. The proper response to slander is prayer, not revenge." (footnote, Life Application Bible)

"Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord, I will repay". I kept hearing those words spoken over and over in my head recently during a situation that I had to endure. I wanted so badly to take matters into my own hands, and pay back evil for evil. But, God said no---He would take care of it. Even though the matter is not totally resolved, I still have to trust that God is in control, and He will bring about justice.

We oftentimes look at our circumstances, and think we know what we need to do to bring injustice to an end. We want to be in control. We don't think God is working quickly enough on our behalf, so we strike out to take care of it ourselves. Just as David did here in this Psalm, we must cry out to God to be our avenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment