Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Still the Noise

"So David inquired of the Lord, 'Shall I go and attack the Philistines? Will you hand them over to me?' The Lord answered him, 'Go, for I will surely hand the Philistines over to you.'"
2 Samuel 5:19

I was so intrigued while reading today's excerpts. I have read about David, heard him preached about, but had failed to really understand his relationship with God. Yes, he was a man after God's own heart, but we have used that term so loosely that sometimes we overlook the closeness he had with God.

Multiple times the Bible gives us a peek into the "conversations" David had with God. Can you count on your fingers the times you have spoken with God and gotten an answer? And got that answer immediately? I'm ashamed to say that I am not David! Many of us may actually be able to make that same statement. I feel the reason is because we live in a society with polluted air. The airwaves are jam packed with noise! We have satellites, televisions, cell phones, laptops, airplanes, helicoptors and the list could go a mile long.

Society has turned away from silence, which is a breeding ground for conversation. I know with two kids, it is sometimes difficult for my husband and I to converse. It's only until we still the noise of our children that we can talk. What would happen if Eric and I allowed our children to overtake our times of communication? It wouldn't be much of a marriage, let alone a relationship. My next question, what has happened to our relationship with God? We have not learned how to turn down the noise! God is waiting for us to put our priorities in order. All we have to do is turn down the volume of everything around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment