Friday, April 9, 2010

A Call in the Dark

“The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’ Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening’.” (1 Samuel 3:10, NIV)

(below is a blog post from http://renewal212.wordpress.com/ dated 12/02/09)

Last week, I was awakened one night by what I thought was someone calling my name. I heard “Charlotte”, and woke up just long enough to see if it was one of our residents maybe needing something. I heard no stirring around and no further words, so I went back to sleep. Last night, I remember hearing a voice say one word (don’t know if it was my name), and I answered “Yes”. My body was so tired that I couldn’t make myself get awake enough to get up. But, my spirit was saying, “Wake up!” As the Scripture says, “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak” (Matt. 26:41).

The story of the Lord calling Samuel is found in I Samuel 3. One night, God calls out “Samuel”. Samuel gets up and goes to Eli, the priest, and says “Here I am; you called me.” Eli responds, “I did not call; go back and lie down”. After the third time, Eli realizes it’s the Lord calling the boy, and tells him to go and lay back down, and instructs him on what to say if it happened again (found in vs. 10 above).

Just as with Samuel, I want to be able to respond to God’s voice and answer, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” The message may not always be pleasant. In Samuel’s case, he was to tell Eli about the judgment that would come upon his family. God may speak and give you great news. He may instruct you on things that He wants you to do. God may give you prophecies or visions. But, whatever it may be, God wants us to listen when He calls. And, if He really wants our attention, He will continue to speak until we answer.

God, give us ears to hear, and a heart that will listen. May we answer when you call. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment