Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Book of Psalms

Today's readings bring us to the book of Psalms. It is believed that David wrote most of the Psalms, but not all of them. It is the longest book in the Bible with 150 individual Psalms included. Basically, it is a collection of prayers, poems, and hymns that focus on worship and the author's thoughts on God.

Looking through my reading for today, I see a prayer for protection of the righteous, prayer for deliverance from enemies, prayer for refuge from enemies, prayer for relief from oppression by the wicked, prayer for salvation from enemies, prayer for rescue from enemies, prayer for redemption of the righteous, prayer for relief from pursuers and slanders, prayer for vindication in the eyes of enemies who gloat, prayer for the weak and those who suffer betrayal by friends, prayer for insight in the face of opposition, prayer for God's defense and shelter, and so on and so forth. I think you get the picture.

I once heard someone say that if you don't know what else to pray, then you should just start reading the Psalms out loud. It seems to me that some of the same things they prayed for centuries ago are some of the very same things we wrestle with today. Since God is the same then, now, and forever, then you can assume that if God cared about their little problems at that time, then He still cares about ours today.

No matter what is on your mind, God is willing to listen. He desires to listen to us. He wants us to come to Him with our problems. He may already know what they are, but He desires for us to place them at His feet. He desires for us to find peace in Him and know that we can trust Him with everything.

Sometimes it is good to write down your thoughts and prayers just as they did in the book of Psalms. Personally, I used to blog some of my prayers. That may be a modern version of writing them down. :)

I think the most popular Psalms is Psalms 23. We have heard it most often, and it seems to bring comfort to any occasion. Read it out loud and know that the words still ring true today:

Psalm 23
A psalm of David. 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment