Wednesday, April 7, 2010

David's Promise

18-21 King David went in, took his place before God, and prayed: "Who am I, my Master God, and what is my family, that you have brought me to this place in life? But that's nothing compared to what's coming, for you've also spoken of my family far into the future, given me a glimpse into tomorrow, my Master God! What can I possibly say in the face of all this? You know me, Master God, just as I am. You've done all this not because of who I am but because of who you are—out of your very heart!—but you've let me in on it. 2 Samuel 7: 18-21

David did great things, yes he did! David also did some terrible things. He seduced Bathsheba and arranged for her husband's death (2 Samuel 11). He failed to act when his son raped his half sister (2 Samuel 13). He did not punish or forgive his son, Absalom, who planned a rebellion in which many lost their lives (2 Samuel 14). He displayed a lack of trust in God by conducting a military census (2 Samuel 24).

David, unlike Saul, recognized his failures and humbly approached the Lord for forgiveness. He understood that he had failed God. He may have endured consequences for his sins, but he was forgiven.

David also expanded Israel's borders ten times what it had been through military victories. He had great a commitment to the Lord. He was an exuberant worshiper of the Lord. He was a great and fair leader. He finally restored the ark of the covenant to it's rightful place. And, of course, he killed Goliath. These are just some of the things that made David a great leader of his time as well as a follower of God.

Too often, we focus on all of the negative things that we have done more than the positive. We list the ways we have failed the Lord and try to determine the outcome of our entire life based on these failures. It is true, every failure should be presented to the Lord. We should seek forgiveness in a true and humbling way. We should understand and recognize that our sins may cause us to reap consequences that will not be pleasant. We must learn our lessons and try to correct our actions in the future.

Nevertheless, God did not ever say that we had to carry our failures on our backs for all of our lives. This places sin between us and God. This can hinder God's plan for our lives. If we ask for forgiveness with a true heart, then these sins have been left at the cross. There is no reason to continue to go back and pick them up again.

It would have been easy for David to believe his future was grim, if he continued to count his failures. Yet, as indicated in the verse above, David realized that the promises made to him were not about who he was. The promises made to David were about who God was. He was excited because, not only did God bless his future and the future of his descendants, He also let David know about it while he was still alive. David knew he was more blessed than he deserved, but he recognized the sovereignty of God who granted him these things.

What did God promise David?
When your life is complete and you're buried with your ancestors, then I'll raise up your child, your own flesh and blood, to succeed you, and I'll firmly establish his rule. He will build a house to honor me, and I will guarantee his kingdom's rule permanently. I'll be a father to him, and he'll be a son to me. 2 Samuel 7:11-16

How did He fulfill this promise?
Through none other than Jesus Christ!
And, what about this house that God refers to in His promise to David?
Let's look at what Jesus said:
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:2-4

Hallelujah, Praise the Lord! Thank You God for who You are! Thank You that you bless us because of who You are and not who We are!! Thank you for your unfailing, never ending, and most gracious love towards us!! Thank you that what we accomplish for You in this lifetime is not based on our strength but on Your strength! Without You, we are hopeless! With You, our possibilities are endless!! Amen, Amen, and Amen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment