Tuesday, June 22, 2010

'Plumb' Straight

"Then he showed me another vision. I saw the Lord standing beside a wall that had been built using a plumb line. He was using a plumb line to see if it was still straight. And the Lord said to me, “Amos, what do you see?”  I answered, “A plumb line.”  And the Lord replied, “I will test my people with this plumb line. I will no longer ignore all their sins."    (Amos 7:  7-8, NLT)

Based upon some carpenters' workmanship, I sometimes wonder if they know what a plumb line is used for---lol.  Here is a description I just read:  "A plumb line is a length of string that has a weight tied to one end.  When the string is held up with the weighted end hanging down, gravity ensures that the string is perfectly vertical.  If a structure is 'in line' with the plumb line, it will be sturdy and function well.  If the building's walls are out of line and not straight, they may eventually collapse".

"The same holds true in the spiritual realm.  God's Word is our spiritual plumb line.  Just as we can't argue with the law of gravity, we can't change the spiritual laws revealed in the Bible.  We should measure our life by the plumb line of God's Word.  When things don't measure up, it is important that we admit there is a problem and start rebuilding accordingly.  It may just be that we need to look closely at the measuring devices we are using."  (footnote, Life Recovery Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment