Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Make Room

"The woman said to her husband, "I know that this is a holy man of God who passes by our house all the time. Let's make a small room on the roof and put a bed in the room for him."  2 Kings 4: 9-10

I can still recall the excitement I had during the months I was preparing for each of my babies to be born. Their rooms were ultimately at the top of the list to be completed before their arrival. We set up their cribs, hung the curtains, arranged their clothes. I wanted to make sure everything was prepared for this soon-to-be bundle of joy! I realized that I was carrying something precious and that it deserved nothing less than the best I could offer.

The Shunammite woman in today's reading realized that someone "precious" was passing by her home everyday. She sensed that the presence of God was on his life, so she wanted to create a space in her home to cultivate the presence of God. In excitement, she went to her husband and talked him into building onto their house.

Our physical body is described in scripture as being a temple. In Romans 12:1, it urges us to "offer our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to the Lord; this is our spiritual act of worship." Just as the Shunammite woman offered her services unto the man of God, let us offer ourselves in service and worship to our God.

Click here to purchase the One Year Chronological Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment