Thursday, December 2, 2010

Out With the Trash

"Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God."   
(2 Corinthians 7: 1, NIV)

When we purify ourselves, we turn away from sin, and turn our hearts towards God.  Paul says "Let's turn from everything that contaminates our body and spirit.  One definition for contaminate is "to make impure or unclean by contact or mixture."  Are we doing all we can to stay away from impurities or uncleanliness? 

Let's look at our bodies.  Are we filling them with junk food?  Are we taking care of them as though they are a "temple" unto the Lord?  I'm guilty of this myself.  Over the past few years, I have gained weight --- more padding than I need.  As a result, I don't have the energy level that I once had.  I don't like the way I look in the mirror which, in turn, affects my self-esteem.  Most of my eating has been stress-related or fast food on the go.  The past two weeks I have made a concerted effort to lose weight again.  Not only for my physical health, but for my mind and spirit.

Now, let's look at our spirit-man.  Are we feeding it with healthy books, media and conversation?  Or, does it receive a steady diet of TV shows filled with sexual connotations, violence  and ungodly principles?  Are we participating in workplace gossip?  Garbage in will produce garbage out.  And, who or what we're around will affect our inner man. 

None of us will ever achieve perfection, but let's strive to live a lifestyle pleasing to the Lord, renewing our mind, body and spirit daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment