Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Empty Promises

Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”  Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!"
(John 13: 37-38, NIV)

We may look at Peter and think that we could never deny knowing Jesus. If we knew that our life was at stake or we would be thrown into prison, would we waver in our relationship with Jesus Christ?  We would hope we would stand strong, regardless of the consequences.  There have been martyrs in the faith who have gone before us.  There are those in other countries who don't have the freedom to serve the Lord the way we do.  But, what would we do if our freedom of religion was taken away?  Would we stand up and fight to protect it?  

Sometimes we get caught up in the moment, making promises we cannot keep. God knows the extent of our commitment. Peter proudly tells Jesus that he was ready to die for Him. But, Jesus knew that Peter would deny even knowing Jesus, that very night, in order to protect himself.

What about the "things" that make up our lives?  If we were asked to give up our time, money and earthly possessions in order to advance the Kingdom, would we lay it all down and follow Christ?  Maybe we're more like Peter than we realize.  God says "lay it down" for Him, but our flesh doesn't want to let go.  Oh, we may say with our lips "I surrender all", but then when faced with an opportunity to "give it all up", do we still hold on?  So, be careful what you say---you may just be making a promise that you're not willing to keep!

"Take my life and let it be, All for you and for your glory. 
Take my life and let it be yours!"

No comments:

Post a Comment